March 5, 2010

"The Diet" (Part One)


In the beginning days of facing the fact that Amelie might have Autism, there were some tortured and sleepless nights. What did I do wrong? Was it the red wine I drank at my baby shower? What about the time I wasn't paying attention and she cut her forehead so deep she had to get stitches? And what about those vaccinations...??
Jenny McCarthy's book "Louder than Words" had me up reading half the night- bundled up on my couch with blankets and a box of kleenex. I laughed until I cried- and I cried a lot. I knew that if Jenny could be as brave as she clearly was, then I could too. She claims to have "pulled (her son) out of autism" by following the Gluten Free / Caesin free diet.

Deep down, I was feeling a very real lack of control with this situation. A diet is something I could tackle with wild abandon and possibly get results from quickly. I did my research (online and by talking to people I knew who also follow it). I started attracting these people like fly paper! At the grocery store, at the cross walk... All of the sudden, it seemed like everyone in the world knew about the benefits of living Gluten and Dairy Free.

I knew this was not going to be easy. Let's be honest- it's hard enough to quit cheese and bread as an adult. Turning the train around with a string-cheese-obsessed toddler is a whole different story. What? Frozen chicken nuggets and pasta are made with wheat? Mama was going to learn how to cook--really cook-- and fast.

I'll never forget the first time I came home from the grocery store, $200 receipt in hand, after having spent hours reading labels. Tim just rolled his eyes at me- which caused mine to tear up with anger. But I persevered. To make things easier, I separated all of the "safe for Amie" foods. Then I began to research websites and recipies and pre-made foods and condiments. The tastes were wide ranging- but we found some winners.

Eventually, after 3 months of learning my lessons the hard way, things have gotten easier, and less expensive. I finally even have Timmy on board too! The key has been preparation- which is good for us on every level...

No comments:

Post a Comment